Saturday, January 21, 2012

All coming together...

So we just closed up the second nine weeks at our school.  This means I've closed up the second round of my current research.  During the first 9 weeks I interviewed students about reading interests, discussed book requests for the library, and reviewed the Accellerated Reader incentive program with the students in my daily reading groups.  After interviewing them about our current AR incentive program, I took certain requests they made for our AR store and gave them to the AR committee.  The AR committee purchased these specific items and they were made available to our students at our first AR store in December.  The students also stated that they wished they knew which items were going to be in the store in advance so they knew how many points they had to work towards.  The AR committee took pictures of items during our first AR store during December.  A huge display was just hung in the school to show the students a variety of items that will be available in the May store and students are encourage to set AR goals.  During the second nine weeks I implemented an incentive program.  Students that made a 70 or above on their AR test could mark a check on a list I had posted in my room.  Once students had three checks a week they could visit my treasure drawer.  The treasure drawer is just like a treasure chest filled with trinkets from the dollar store, McDonalds, Oriental Trading, etc.  I was truly surprised to see the number of students that truly increased the number of books they were reading just to visit my treasure drawer.  I've never been one for rewarding students for their actions, but I do have to say that they system did motivate some students that otherwise probably wouldn't have continued reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment